Euskotren: accessibility and universal design
Euskotren is the leading transport operator company in the Basque Country. It is a public service based on quality, safety and efficiency which transports more than 30 million people every year.
Euskotren’s commitments include rigorously complying with accessibility requirements, for inclusion and diversity in favor of mobility, allowing citizens the same access to information on means of transport, mainly trains and trams from Euskadi.
In addition to the need to comply with all the above requirements, Euskotren needed a new provider, which requested through public tender, to redo and provide all preventive and corrective maintenance services of the Mobile Application based on the app that existed in that moment. It was necessary that it be integrated with its systems and guarantee the stability and proper functioning of the application based on a series of evolutionary requirements that consisted of:
- Improved application performance.
- Incorporation of new languages.
- Visual update based on both the corporate image projection and the improvement of universal design and accessibility for a wide use of the App to all citizens.
- PUSH notifications.
To meet the requirements, a project that met those needs was proposed:
- Development in native technology: Android app development and iOS App development to ensure the stability of the solution.
- Integration with Euskotren’s BackEnd to consult schedules, alerts, 112 emergency service, user registration, incident reports and consultations.
- Results of information according to your geographical position.
- Management of favorite routes for the user.
- Update corporate image.
- Implementation of the design system for the correct use of the APP by people with different visual or auditory needs.
The Euskotren APP continues to incorporate functionalities and work based on the given requirements but also on the basis of how a solution evolves, listening to the users and their suggestions and comments and to the use of the Euskotren public.
If you want more information about the project you can see it in this post Accessible apps for Smart Cities.